Friday, July 25, 2008

0 days bee-sting-free


You know the get-to-know-you game question "what is one interesting fact about you?"? My answer has always been "I've never been stung by a bee.". Well, as of this morning, I need a new interesting fact. I got stung for the first time today! It's kind of a funny story...

Saylor was outside "swimming" in her wading pool on the grass. Beckam was tucked neatly away in the 2 square feet of shade near the fence, sleeping. I sat next to him on the cement, bare foot, as always. Saylor was "watering" the tree across the yard with a green plastic easter egg filled with water from the pool. This time she asked me to go with her to "give the tree a drink". I dutifully stood up and began the trek across the grass, Saylor following close behind, eyes glued to her make-shift watering can. That's when it happened, I firmly planted my foot right onto a bee! I started hopping around on my good foot going
"Oh my gosh, ow ow ow!"
"What happened?" (Saylor's usual response to everything).
"Mommy just stepped on a bee!"
"Oh no!"
"No, mommy's fine. Mommy's fine" I faked a smile. I didn't want to scare her. I'm still hopping.
"You got stung by a bee just like Curious George got stung by a bee!"
"Yeah, mommy's ok, mommy's fine." I look down and see the furry nasty thing still attached to my foot. Still hopping.
"George made the bee angry and the yellow man got in a costume so now the bee can't sting him."
"What? Oh, right right. Go back to the cement." I didn't want her to step on him too. I worked up the courage to brush the bee off my foot.
"No I kiss you better." She bends down and tries to kiss my foot, but can't because I'm hopping again due to the stinger being still lodged in my foot.
"No honey, go to the cement! Mommy's fine!"
"I get a banbaid for your foot?" She sets the now empty egg down and heads for the house.
"No you're all wet, I'm fine!" I pull the stinger out and make my way over to Beckam.
"Here, I kiss you better. We get a costume from the yellow man so we're not scared of the bee anymore?"
"Yeah Babe, we'll get a costume..."

Other than some surprisingly painful stinging and burning, and some moderate swelling at the injury site, I am fine. I have since made a full recovery. I hope the bee died...

5 comments:

Kelli Nicholls Designs said...

She is so stinkin' cute! Sorry that you got stung.

Heather said...

Ahhh! Reading that makes me hurt! I am sorry you had to experience that Em :( No fun

Dave said...

Nice blog. Tell your husband to contribute more. Everyone likes an occasional male point of view.

-The Blogfather

The Andersons said...

I absolutely HATE bee stings. I had one summer growing up that I got stung every day because I had to mow the lawn next to an old wooden fence. It was a nightmare! I got stung twice last week as a matter of fact. Once at work while playing basketball with Adam and once while pulling weeds at my house. Needless to say we were done pulling weeds after that. At least you had Saylor there to talk you through it! Oh and how did you get the date of the last post under all of your contact "fellow bloggers" names?

Larson Family said...

You crack me up!!! What a great story to go along with you first bee sting. My first bee sting was on the foot too. Saylor is a hoot!!!