Thursday, January 22, 2009

Okay! NOW WHAT?!

Crying it out has failed! We've been doing it for a week now and....it's NOT working! I've tried the Ferber thing, I've tried ignoring him, and the crib aquarium thing (which he pulled off the crib rungs somehow and nearly injured himself), I've tried it all! He is now only sleeping about 1/2 an hour during the day, and waking up several times at night. He can't fall asleep by himself. Anyone have any other tricks or ideas or suggestions or ANYTHING?! Help me, again, please! I'm tired! And SOOOO TIRED of listening to my tiny boy cry!!

6 comments:

Hollie and Mike Christiansen said...

Em, I'm so sorry. NOthing is worse than a child that won't sleep and you don't know why. Have you tried removing any stimuli from his crib. Things like a mobile, the aquarium etc.. If there is too much to distract him from his main goal of going to sleep that could pose a problem. Other than that I am out of ideas for today, I will think about it today. Just know you are doing great. Call for someone to come over for you to take a nap--it is essential that you keep yourself rested! Trust me on that one!

Emily said...

Hi, I'm Adam's cousin, Emily. I'm really sorry about the crying. My husband suggests changing the sleeping arrangements. moving the crib or something so that it's different. My kids listen to tapes when they go to sleep or take naps. It's either music or stories but they need to be quite to listen to them. Also sometimes white noise helps you not to worry about them. Maybe vacuum after putting him down. That way he can't cry loud enough for you to get really upset about it, or at least it doesn't sound so bad to you. This too will pass, but it's so hard. good luck

bergesonbs said...

Hey Em. I don't know if this helps, or if it's even the case. But Ryanah was like that for a while, and it was because she was teething (even though she didn't show any signs of teething). But if you dare try this, it's what I did for a couple of days with Ry. I gave her some Tylenol and then rubbed Oragel, and then gave her the teething tablets. I may be a bad mother for it, but it worked. If he isn't in pain, you could just drive around at nights until he falls asleep, that always worked with Ry. It was a pain doing it, but it worked. Anyway hope things get better

Jenna said...

OH Em, I'm so sorry! I REALLY feel for you and wish there was something I could do for you. When I was pregnant with Brinley I read a GREAT book called The Baby Whisperer. It really was the best baby book I ever read. And when any of my friends ask me how I got Brinley to start sleeping through the night at 8 weeks, I always give them that book to read. I think you'll really love it. Good luck!!!

Kristin said...

Have you ever read "Healthy Sleeping Habits, Happy Baby"? If you haven't, do and do everything it says. It's a great book. We had a horrible time getting both our babies to sleep well. This book made all the difference. Good luck!
~Kristin Jasperson Murri

Larson Family said...

Does he have a favorite toy/blanket? If so, you sleep with it carry it around for a day or two so it smells like you. Then when he sleeps with it he will feel safer. Another tip is you could just sit next to him as he falls asleep. Maybe even start by holding his hand. He will probably throw a fit and want you to pick him up but just sing or something to comfort him. Then each night move further and further away until you are at the door. Last step is shut the door. Just some ideas. I did the one where you move away slowly and it worked really well. Once I got to the shut the door step she still had to cry it out but she didn't cry as long. Just stay strong don't give into the crying!! You can do it!