
Originally this was going to be a witty post all about my life and how I've lost all control of it. But then today was "one of those days" (every day falls under that category now) and I found myself crying over it...it just isn't very funny. Let me explain...
Judy Attitudy: aka Saylor. She is now 2 years and 4 months old. I'm convinced that she was THE sweetest child up until recently. She always obeyed. She never fought me. She said please and thank you. She almost had the potty thing down. Naps existed. Life was wonderful. Then Beckam was born. The "terrible twos" are in full force. She is really giving me a run for my money. She ignores me. She screams and yells at me. She even clawed my face. She refuses to nap. We are back in diapers with no end in sight. My sweet girl is gone and my heart is broken...I miss her so much.
The Pig: aka Beckam. He is now 6 weeks old and has been "diagnosed" with silent reflux. It's the same as regular reflux (think heart burn only baby-style) only he doesn't do the whole spitting up thing so much as just swallowing it back down and then gagging, coughing, choking and gasping for air. So he eats every 2 hours, but he'd like to eat every hour, on the hour. I'm not kidding. So he's pretty unhappy most of the time. He won't eat for more than 7 minutes now (down from 10) before his poor little esophagus is on fire. He has to be upright for 20 minutes after each feeding. Today, if he's not sleeping, he's crying. He's on Prevacid but I think they gave me a placebo....because it's not working. He's gaining weight and growing just great, but only because I have become a regular diner, open for business 24/7, serving milk only.
So Judy Attitudy and The Pig are making me muy loco and I'm borderline depressed about the whole thing. Almost all of my attention goes to Beckam, leaving Saylor upset. She acts out so I try to enforce the "naughty chair" like Supernanny, but it's hard to be consistent when I've grown a new appendage, Beckam. We don't leave the house except for Walmart excursions and for church (another blog-worthy topic). Saylor and I are going stir-crazy. So she's mad about that too because all she really wants to do is play with me outside. I'd go outside but it's too hot without any shade at our house, and Beckam really doesn't like being out there so he makes it a party for everyone. She's in a constant state of "wait Saylor!" because I've got The Pig going to town as fast as he can before he's screaming in pain and can't eat anymore. So she watches Curious George all day on my bed. Our summer is wasting away. Now imagine what my house looks like. I feel like I'm totally failing. I'm upset. Saylor has turned on the attitude (I feel like it's because she's a little neglected and jealous of Beckam, and the whole 2 yrs old thing). Beckam is in pain. Poor Adam has to deal with work and then the family circus when he comes home....
So HELP! I'm asking for advice. Please. Or comfort. Or crazy pills. I'm getting desperate. How do I survive 2 kids this young? And how do they survive me?
Judy Attitudy: aka Saylor. She is now 2 years and 4 months old. I'm convinced that she was THE sweetest child up until recently. She always obeyed. She never fought me. She said please and thank you. She almost had the potty thing down. Naps existed. Life was wonderful. Then Beckam was born. The "terrible twos" are in full force. She is really giving me a run for my money. She ignores me. She screams and yells at me. She even clawed my face. She refuses to nap. We are back in diapers with no end in sight. My sweet girl is gone and my heart is broken...I miss her so much.
The Pig: aka Beckam. He is now 6 weeks old and has been "diagnosed" with silent reflux. It's the same as regular reflux (think heart burn only baby-style) only he doesn't do the whole spitting up thing so much as just swallowing it back down and then gagging, coughing, choking and gasping for air. So he eats every 2 hours, but he'd like to eat every hour, on the hour. I'm not kidding. So he's pretty unhappy most of the time. He won't eat for more than 7 minutes now (down from 10) before his poor little esophagus is on fire. He has to be upright for 20 minutes after each feeding. Today, if he's not sleeping, he's crying. He's on Prevacid but I think they gave me a placebo....because it's not working. He's gaining weight and growing just great, but only because I have become a regular diner, open for business 24/7, serving milk only.
So Judy Attitudy and The Pig are making me muy loco and I'm borderline depressed about the whole thing. Almost all of my attention goes to Beckam, leaving Saylor upset. She acts out so I try to enforce the "naughty chair" like Supernanny, but it's hard to be consistent when I've grown a new appendage, Beckam. We don't leave the house except for Walmart excursions and for church (another blog-worthy topic). Saylor and I are going stir-crazy. So she's mad about that too because all she really wants to do is play with me outside. I'd go outside but it's too hot without any shade at our house, and Beckam really doesn't like being out there so he makes it a party for everyone. She's in a constant state of "wait Saylor!" because I've got The Pig going to town as fast as he can before he's screaming in pain and can't eat anymore. So she watches Curious George all day on my bed. Our summer is wasting away. Now imagine what my house looks like. I feel like I'm totally failing. I'm upset. Saylor has turned on the attitude (I feel like it's because she's a little neglected and jealous of Beckam, and the whole 2 yrs old thing). Beckam is in pain. Poor Adam has to deal with work and then the family circus when he comes home....
So HELP! I'm asking for advice. Please. Or comfort. Or crazy pills. I'm getting desperate. How do I survive 2 kids this young? And how do they survive me?

19 comments:
Oh Lady I'm sorry. I got stressed just reading about it. As for the advice I don't have any. I don't have kids so what would I know right? But as for the crazy pills...meet me behind the old elementary school in 20 minutes. I'll have the goods. Good Luck. My prayers are with you. :)
Hi Emily! It's Kristen (Wilkinson). I just came across your blog and I totally know what you're going through! I just had my 2nd 4 weeks ago and her brother is only 16 months old. Unfortunately he's never obeyed me and that hasn't changed, but he's only been worse since the baby came. This was my first entire week without any help, so I've been going completely crazy! All I can say is I just keep telling myself it will get better...eventually - and no more kids for a LONG time! Good luck!
First of all, you need to get out of the house!!!! That is probably one reason Saylor is acting the way she is, because she has cabin fever! I think it will help you to not be so down also. Yea, it is hard leaving the house with two kids, but make yourself!
As for the Beckam thing, maybe you need to forget about breast feeding (its kinda overrated anyway), and try formula? Maybe that would help his reflux. I'm so sorry, but it really is good to hear you complain for once!
I love you!!
Chels
I agree with sister john. Let's go to the park and let Carter entertain Say...also shade exists there. Plus outside is the only time Crew is quiet!
You can try my goat's milk...it did noticibly help tiny dancer. Also I have reglan here and we should try that in addition to the prevacid. I had to stop BF...maybe that is an option. That's a hard decision (I know first hand)
Hang in there. I am so sorry and can relate...unfortunately
Oh, Emily, I am so sorry! What can I do to help?? I can come take Saylor this next week for a day if you like, and me, Aiva, and Saylor can play outside so you can get a breather, and hopefully "Judy" will come home with a little less "attitudy." How does that sound?? I'll call you this week. Call me if I forget. I REALLY want to do this for you!!
Man, I just got a flashback!! It is SO hard! I seriously almost started crying because I know how ya feel! Here's what sorta worked for me:
-Try Zantac (thats what Kyler and Jocelyn used)
-Go buy the Fisher Price "Music" Seahorse.
-Lots of warm baths
-Elevated Crib
-Put a little Cereal with water in a bottle and give it to him before you breastfeed.
-3 minutes per side then burp and switch. Then do it again.
???????? If you figure it out let me know, but these helped so I didn't go completely insane!!!
Go see Chelsea and you can get a break! Miss ya, and wish I could help!
Oh, I'm so sorry. It does get better...I promise!!! They won't always be little. Try to carve out a little time each day that is just for Saylor, leaving Beckam with his daddy. Take her out on mini dates, just you and her. You need them too. Catch her being good and praise her up the wazoo. And YOU need to get out girl! A couple of girls nights out wouldn't hurt a bit. I'm so sorry that this is such a hard time in your life. Just think of Grandma Noble's favorite phrase...and it came to pass. Meanwhile, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck!!
I don't have any advice either...no kids here. But, I'm telling you, you should hook up with my sister. Your story is hers to a T, just a few months behind.
Oh my gosh! You poor thing! I wish I had a magic formula that would fix all your problems, but I don't. I could tell you what worked for us with the reflux and could talk forever about almost any breastfeeding issue you could face, but I know every baby and every mom is so unique that there isn't one right way. I know you'll find what works for you guys, and good luck 'til then. Sometime SOON we should get together. My kids could use some time out, too! This dang heat has us under house arrest. Hang in there!!
Hey Emily, I had to comment, not because I have great advice but I wanted to tell you I feel for you. Two babies are tough! I never imagined that it would be so hard. . .but it does get better. Mine are 2 years and 9 months and it is getting better all the time. It takes time to get into a routine again, that's for sure. Oh, my only advice, forget about the house for now! Good luck!
~Kristin Jasperson Murri
Anytime you need a break and we're home just drop one of them off. We'd love to help out!
Hi Emily! It's great knowing how you guys are doing but this post made me so sad. I really wish I can help but living an hour + away doesn't make things easy, especially with a 7 month old. I really have no suggestions because I've never had any of these problems. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Things will get better. Hope to see you and the family soon.
Elise
P.S Where did you get your layout?
Emily! I found your blog through adam and aubrey's blog. Oh my goodness your family is growing! I remember when you were pregnant with Saylor at a party at Sean Wood's house and you kept telling me you were pissed that you were pregnant. You sound like you're struggling! I know we were never really that close, but, I am willing to help if you'll let me, my phone number is 801-598-7819. And the offer is serious!
Hey girly, I just love you!!!! You are super women and you are an amazing mom. Being a mom is a huge sacrifice but we need to take time for ourselves... otherwise we get overwhelmed... I can't give any advice cuz I don't know what its like all I know is that we love your kidos and Alexis would love for Say to come and swim in here little tiny perfect for no drowning pool they would have a blast we'll work it out and you can have a breather... also we are going to keep up on play group so that will be good to get "out" Love you Em hang in there and like they say it will get better!
Hey Emily and Adam- sorry to hear it's not going so well. I was feeling kind of sad we've waited so long to have another kid, but then I hear the joys of having 2 and I'm again glad I only have Adia. (but we will be there eventually- I'm not stopping with just Adia) I hate to tell you, but Adia has been worse as a 3 year old than she was as a 2 year old. They're still so much fun though so I guess that's why people keep having children and don't just stop at one. I hope everything gets better for you. Will you guys be at Josh's farewell on Sunday? We'll hopefully see you there. By the way, I started a blog for Jordan to keep everyone updated on how he's doing on his mission. There's a link to it through our blog.
Emily - my kids are not as close together as yours are, but I do have a LITTLE advice. First, TAKE ALL THESE PEOPLE UP ON THEIR OFFERS!!! THEY ARE SERIOUS!!! Someday, you'll be in their shoes and you'll be jumping over your feet to help someone who's in your position right now. When people offer, they mean it. It doesn't mean you're a bad mom to schedule a few play dates for Saylor. It'll be good for her, you, the baby, and Adam!!! ;)
Second, remember this is a phase - it won't last forever. Your house is not your first priority right now...your 2 kids are. They won't even remember if the house was dirty or if the laundry wasn't done...but they'll remember you being there when you need them. Third, schedule a date with Adam if you can. It'll give you something to look forward to - something to dress up for and something to get you out. Finally, remember how much you are loved, by your Father in Heaven and by your friends and family. We are all praying for you.
Much Love,
Cousin Joy
PS -- there's no shame in medication if you're feeling too overwhelmed...
also, you're not alone...every mother out there can relate...
TAG, YOU'RE IT! CHECK OUT MY BLOG TO SEE WHAT IT'S ABOUT. ;) SEE YOU TUESDAY!
Post a Comment