Adam and I were remembering how it felt when we were kids at Christmas. Natalie and I used to get so freaked out about Santa coming into our house. We'd hold hands in bed and barricade ourselves in with our stuffed animals, for protection, of course. We even went as far as posting a sign on our door telling him to KEEP OUT (please)! We were kinda scared but so excited at the same time. I remember not being able to sleep...just listening for sounds on the roof or in the chimney. I so missed that excitement once it was all "over". Christmas was fun and Christmasy but it just wasn't the same. But now, Christmas is back!!
I LOVE HAVING SAYLOR AT CHRISTMAS! It's so fun to have someone around who is totally sucked into the whole thing. She lives in a crazy world of her own anyway...she is a different Disney princess every single day and insists that I use that princess's name in place of her own. "My name is Jasmine, not Saylor." Sometimes I will say her name repeatedly before she snaps back to semi-reality for long enough to hear me. She breaks into random song all day long. It's so fun. So the whole Santa Claus thing fit right into her world. She sat on his lap 3 times this year. Each time it was like it was totally natural to be sitting on a strange, red velvet clad, fat, bearded man's lap. She talked to him for 4 or 5 minutes, telling him what she wanted, saying thank you, and politely requesting a candy cane. She wasn't at all nervous or scared or timid. She can barely contain herself when we talk about anything Christmas-related. When someone asks her "who is coming on Christmas?" she says "Santa, and Jesus!". Tomorrow we're having a birthday party for Jesus. Totally her idea (which is funny because I suggested the same thing when I was her age). She picked out the cake she wanted for him, she's excited about that too. I am loving this!
So now the Christmasy feelings from when I was little are back. I find myself awake in bed thinking about Christmas, just not for myself. I can't wait to see her face when she sees the presents, or that Santa ate the cookies she left out for him. I can't wait to hear her sing "happy birthday dear Jesus...", and I'm already sad that it's going to all be over in a few days. This has been so much fun!! I can't wait until Beckam "gets it" too! I love having kids at Christmas!
13 years ago

1 comment:
That's so fun! You probably didn't know this but our family sings happy birthday to Jesus every year. ha ha ha We always have and we have little cake things for him too. It was a Tradition in my dad's family. I never really believed in Santa. Having three older brothers who tell you he's not real will do that. But I liked the idea of him so I pretended he was real for a bit. what fun!
Post a Comment