13 years ago
Saturday, December 6, 2008
Advice?
Beckam woke up at the hours of 12, 2, 4, 6, 7, and 8 am last night. Each time he demanded to be fed in very VERY loud (like jet engine, fog horn, air-raid siren loud...) yells/screams/cries. We live in 1200 sq feet of space so you can hear him well from any room in the house. In wanting to keep Saylor asleep, I quickly shoved a bottle in his mouth every time. This has been going on for about a month now (now I understand why sleep deprivation is a torture tactic). I, personally, am not a brave enough mom to let him cry it out. I can't handle the snot-fest, red splochy face, sad sad sadness. Not to mention, my neighbors would all call and complain if I did, this little guy has an impressive set of pipes. And Saylor wouldn't sleep a wink. I feel like I have a newborn again! At about 6 weeks old he was only waking up once at night...what happened?!?! Does anyone have any advice that doesn't involve letting him scream his head off?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Aiva has usually always slept well. But for some reason, every few months she goes through the same stage you're describing. And it starts off with us just popping in a bottle, because we're just waiting for the phase to pass, and her to grow out of it. Well, that never happens, and weeks later, we're still giving her bottles during the night. The only thing I have found to work for us in breaking these cycles is (sorry!) letting her cry it out. It usually only takes one, maybe two nights, and then she's a great sleeper again. But I don't know what to tell you about Saylor! Do you think she would use earplugs? When we're going through the cry-it-out nights, we have these wax earplugs you can get at Walmart, and when she starts crying, we pop them in, and sleep right through it. It sounds aweful, but it works for us, and it's better for us and her in the long run. Good luck!
Apri did the same exact thing!! She started sleeping through the night starting at about 6 weeks and then all of a sudden at about 6 months bloody murder crying in the middle of the night 3 or 4 times. I talked to my doctor and told him "I know she needs something, she is crying like she is hurt". He asured me she was fine and to let her cry it out. It was so hard to do but well worth it. My doctor also told me to stop rocking her to sleep. I don't know if you do this? If you do the doctor told me to stop because part of the reason they wake up crying is because when they fall asleep you are there, then when they wake up you are gone and it scares them. I know it is hard but I promise it will be worth it. (do the same thing for naps too)
oh my goodness i am so sorry! I have no advice, only comfort to give! I wish I could help you.. You are so strong to keep going without sleep! I hope that you are able to find someting that works for you guys and I will be praying for you :)
is he getting more teeth? my ped. said to let ky cry it out b/c once they're 9 mos. old if they haven't learned to self sooth they will always wake up at night b/c that's the age they're aware you're really gone (object permanence and such...)
SO I have been trying to think of this really great solution for you other than the typical 'let them cry it out'. But that is all I have. Let me tell you how important seep is too you. Even if you think you are doing fine--you are not! It takes such a large toll. I know it is hard, trut us on that one! We had to let Mason cry it out when he was doing one of his no sleep cycles. I just layed in my bed and cried--he was two. He cried for two hours straight. Nothinh wrong, just wanted to be with someone. Anyway, I know it is hard, you feel horrible, but you are doing it for the greater good. Let us know how it all pans out. Good Luck!!
The consensus seems to be crying it out... There are a lot of different ways to do this, though. We're very partial to Dr. Ferber's progressive intervals method. Let him cry for 5 mins or whatever you're comfortable starting out with, then go pat him on the back, letting him know you're there, then leave for a longer interval--maybe 10 this time--then if he's still crying go back and soothe. Continue this pattern until he has put himself to sleep. You can check out his book "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems". It was my sleep training Bible with E&A. Babies will often go through an interruption in sleep when they approach a new developmental milestone--crawling, standing, walking, etc. So you're probably going to have to go through this a few times. Hang in there and good luck!!!
I would love to get together for lunch! What is a good day for you? What about the 15th, 16th, or 18th? Any of these days work for me from around 11:30am to 1:30pm. Let me know and I will ask the other girls.
So I read all your comments cause Kylee will sometimes do the same thing. With Dallin, I used Dr. Ferber's theory and it worked really well. Then you don't feel as bad about them crying it out when you go soothe them every little while. The other night I had to do it with Kylee. I went in after five minutes, gave her the pacifier, rubbed her back and then left. She cried even harder when I left by calmed down pretty quick. The she started crying again and after 10 minutes of crying I went back in, same thing and left. She cried again after I left but before 15 minutes came (when I would have gone in again) she had fallen back to sleep and so had I. It is harder now with two kids though. During all this, Dallin layed there awake. I would just tell him to roll over and go back to sleep. He doesn't like it but he has gotten used to it. Saylor will get used to it even though it is hard for now. Also, like someone else said, don't rock him to sleep. He needs to learn to go to sleep on his own if he doesn't already. I am still trying to find a good way to get Kylee to sleep all the way through the night and I just checked out the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" from the library. (Cause like I have time to read a book when I don't get any sleep and I have two kids) I have several friends who have used the advice in that book and don't have a problem now. Well Good luck.
Post a Comment