We decided to sign Saylor up to do the "future cheerleaders" thing at Layton High where they learn a dance and then perform at half-time of a basketball game. We thought she'd love it because she loves to dance, and she's always begging us to "go up on stage". She was really excited for it and couldn't wait to go learn the dance from the cheerleaders.
We got there and she was happy and bouncing around and just couldn't wait to get started. They did stretches and warmed up with a nice game of Simon Says, and then they started learning this really cute little dance. Saylor did the first couple moves and was fine. Then they told them the next move was a cartwheel and that did it for Saylor! She immediately turned to me and said, stone-faced, "I don't want to do this anymore." She came and sat down next to me where I attempted to persuade her to give it a try. If you know Saylor then you know that I could beg, bribe, or plead until I was blue in the face and it wouldn't make a difference. She is the most stubborn person on this planet. She just didn't want to do it anymore so that was that. After about 15 minutes of me trying my best I gave up and went to ask for my money back.
After explaining it to the cheerleader advisor she thought that as another adult, she might be able to convince her/pressure her to do it. I was really impressed with Saylor though, she totally stood her ground! She was really polite and matter-of-fact and just kept saying "No thank you, I don't want to do it. I'll just play cheerleader at home." The lady bribed her with suckers, cupcakes, she even did a toe-touch and Saylor wouldn't budge! So she gave me my money back and we went home. We spent more than an hour trying to get her to change her mind but when Saylor says no, she means it. Unfortunately this kind of thing happens ALL THE TIME with her! I keep telling myself that Saylor's strong will will be a positive part of her personality when she grows up, but it's sure hard to parent her when she's like this!!
13 years ago

2 comments:
What was it about the cartwheels that made her not want to do it I wonder? And may I just say - as the parent of a 3-year old, I understand what you're going through!
I too am that stubborn, so is Tron which is why I'm scared for Oliver to grow up.
Post a Comment