We went up to Powder Mountain over the weekend with my family. It was supposed to be nice and relaxing but...it really wasn't. Don't get me wrong, we had tons of fun, but it was tiring because Beckam got sick! Friday night he got a fever that hasn't gone away yet, and he started filling up diapers like it was his job. So instead of swimming and playing, it was changing diapers, slathering on the Desitin, and keeping up on the Tylenol! Ugh! Needless to say, Adam and I got ZERO sleep both nights we were there (Saylor managed to sleep through it all). But it wasn't ALL Beckam's fault...
Saturday night I "went to bed" (got in bed and waited to start changing diapers) and kinda slept off and on until about 1:30. That's when I woke up to a baby SCREAMING, but it wasn't my baby. It wasn't my niece or my nephew either. So I started an investigation and found that it was the baby in the condo next door. So I got back in bed and tried to sleep but the poor kid kept crying...for the next HOUR...and kept me up.
Now, I wasn't mad, instead I was so sad for this little neglected baby. Adam was able to sleep through it pretty well but my heart was hurting for the tiny stranger boy. Hearing a baby scream "Mamaaaaaaaa!" for that long will make you sad, I don't care who's kid it is. So now it's 2:30 and I'm wondering why the parents are ignoring their child...and on vacation. Rude. I start to think that maybe they aren't ignoring him, but that maybe something happened to them and they aren't ABLE to help their baby. Maybe they got hurt, or DIED. My sleep-deprived brain accepted this as probable and pretty soon I had convinced myself that they had been murdered in the night. So...golden rule and all...if that happened to Adam and I, I would want the strangers next door to come to my children's rescue...so I should do the same, right? So I proposed the idea to Adam and he thought I was nuts and got a little mad when I told him I was going over there (Adam wants to defend himself and say that it was almost 3 am and he was a little out of it...and that it was all a little bit ridiculous). I needed to run my idea past someone who would think it was a good idea. My dad? No, he'd get mad too. Natalie? Perfect. She gets these kinds of ideas all the time.
I woke up Natalie at 2:45. It needs to be said that she had already taken her Ambien, which worked to my advantage in selling my idea to her, so the conversations were especially interesting. I gave her the run down and told her I thought that the neighbors were dead and she agreed that it was likely. So we donned our jackets, grabbed a flashlight, and headed outside Nancy Drew-style. What were we going to do? I dunno.
We found the baby's room right away because the window was open and he was just screaming. We whisper-shouted to him and he stopped crying. I got really sad and almost went to the door when suddenly Natalie became lucid (for only a moment) and decided that his parents were more likely just trying to get some shut-eye than laying dead in the condo. We went back inside and found the number to the front desk to turn this all over to them. I dialed "0" and waited through the rings. Nothing. So I found the paperwork we got at check-in and got the number to the resort. I called it and it was disconnected!!! Dun dun DUUUN!!!! Now we were totally sure there had been a double homicide. What were we going to do if there was a crazy murderer running loose atop the mountain? We decided, for our own safety, to let the crying child fend for himself and just try to sleep. Luckily, he quit screaming about half an hour later and so we only had to deal with our own kid crying.
We never did see the people from next door so I don't know of their fate. So if you hear of any foul-play at Powder Mountain, you heard it here first.
Seriously though, it was a really fun weekend and I so appreciated Adam and my family for taking care of Saylor so that I could play the nurse. And thanks Nat for not thinking I was a crazy. I realize now how dumb that all was. Good times.
13 years ago

10 comments:
NERVOUS!!!!
haaahahahaa oh my ga...I'm just happy that someone else in the family finally had a paranoid moment
such a great story!
Oh Em, that is so funny! Sad, but funny.
I totally would have had the same thoughts. I wouldn't have dared moved though, so good job you and Nat! I love that you went to Natalie, because I more than likely would be able to go to Kellie and she would share my concern. That was a great story to read about, thanks for the laughs!
Emily, I totally would have done the same thing!!
What a crack up! It is driving me crazy that you don't really have an ending though! I am still worried about the little baby! So did you teaspoon while on this adventure? That is what I imagined as I read between the lines. We do need to get together again! Let me know I am free tues-thurs most weeks.
I would have thought that they were dead too! If Andy is ever late I always think that he got in this terrible accident and is lieing dead on the freeway somewhere. Totally irrational. I would have knocked on the door to see if everything was okay.
It totally could have happened. What kind of parents just let their kid cry when there are people a wall away
Emily, your story was hilarious! Sorry for the lack of sleep on your vacation.
Post a Comment