Monday, March 16, 2009

Goodbye House!

We finally sold our house and moved out over the weekend. I have to say...I'm pretty sad to go. My little sentimental heart got so attached to everything there! I'm very excited for the opportunities this brings us, but so sad to go.

I found myself bawling as I was cleaning after the move (surprise). I walked into our house and saw bare walls and empty rooms...my lip immediately started to quiver. I didn't actually burst into tears until I was cleaning the toilet. Isn't that funny? I just started thinking about the hours I must have spent near that thing while I was sick sick sick during my pregnancies. And I thought about Saylor's proud little face when she conquered potty training. And I saw the little plastic thingy that covers the screw on the base of the toilet. Beckam LOVES that thing! He takes it and hides it all over the house. Then I saw the sink where she sits when I do her hair, and thought about how she freaks out every time because her feet fall asleep. And I saw the marks in the carpet where her bed sat, and where Beckam's crib sat. How many times did I sneak in there to fix her blankets so she'd be warm at night? I almost couldn't bring myself to scrub Beckam's hand (and mouth) prints off of the sliding glass door. His favorite thing was to sit there and press his face against the glass to watch it snow. I cried vacuuming the first step because that's where I stand so we can be the same height when Adam and I kiss goodbye.

There are just so many memories tied to the little things all over that house. It's our home. And now suddenly it's not. I hope the new owners love it as much as we do. I hope they take care of it and make happy memories there like we did.

The thing that is making this even harder is Saylor. She keeps asking to go home. How do you explain it to a 3 yr old? Her tears and frustration break my heart. I know she'll get used to it, and that she'll never remember this. It's just a hard thing to go through. Beckam couldn't care any less where we live. As long as he has things to get into and messes to make he's happy. My thought now is that home is where your family is. As long as I'm with them, I'll be happy.

7 comments:

Allie, Justin and Alton said...

We miss you guys already!

Shelise said...

Congratulations on selling your house! That is great. One thing we did with Dallin was we took him through the house after it was all empty and so now that is how he remembers it. In fact we pass it every time we take him to preschool (at Callee's) and he says, "there's the empty house" It was hard for him too. Saylor will get used to it. Did you guys buy a house then? Where are you living at? Good luck to you. I am so glad we have blogs to keep in touch.

Heather said...

How bittersweet! I am sentimental too- I love all the memories you described. I'm sure you will make even more in your next place!

Ginger said...

We will miss you guys. If you are in the neighborhood stop by--Hudson would love to play with Saylor.

Hollie and Mike Christiansen said...

Moving is always bitter sweet. Well, if you are getting a better place it is bittersweet. :) It is hard to get into a routine in a new place, but once you are life goes on and the memories start again.
We are 6 hours ahead of you. Whenever you can is totally fine. I am going to be gone off and on today, but Mike will be here.

mike and elise said...

I'm glad that you were able to sell your home. That must be a relief, besides being bittersweet. Where are you guys going from here???

Angela said...

You totally made me cry :) You are so cute and I love how you write...and explain things to your reader. I felt like I was there in your house experiencing saying goodbye with you. It is hard to leave a house you've made lots of memories in. I remember leaving out home in Idaho after 8 years of being there, I cried like a baby more than once...it was HARD.